View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-05, 14:16

Before you make any changes you need to know what is going to happen with the old domain. The least number of changes the better.

What might be best is to change the Squarespace domain to a subdomain of the original domain so once you have control of the old domain you can have it point there (ie store.olddomain.com)

I'm not up on SEO at all, but the more you change now the harder it is to reestablish I'm sure.

If you just redirect to the new domain I'm sure the end users would understand given this client isn't likely a major name that more would be concerned about the domain change...

Then again, people might have the old site bookmarked.

Personally, I would use the original domain name and just have the old webmaster set up the subdomain to point to your Squarespace hosted site. Then transfer the domain to your control. Of course, you'll have to keep her store at store.olddomain.com for SEO reasons from there.

Of course, if the old webmaster is agreeable for the migration, he could just point the A record to Squarespace and you change the coding for the original domain name. Have the new one redirect to the old one and pretend it didn't happen.

I think that last option is the best really. However that depends on how agreeable the old webmaster is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.