Thread: Leopard preview
View Single Post
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-10, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
In other weiridities of the images:

1. Note the title of the Safari window, particularly how part of it is italicized. How can (or should) a browser arbitrarily guess/decide what part of a web page's title was part of a search query as in this case?
2. Note how Safari's window title, TextEdit's window title, and Finder's widow title are not in the current standard Lucida Grande. The same goes for the bookmarks bar in Safari. Yet, Lucida Grande appears normally everywhere else.
You might (provided the screenshots are real) be answering your own question: Lucida Grande doesn't exist as bold, an issue that, for instance, John Gruber recently brought up in this GUIdebook interview:
Quote:
[If I were chief UI designer at Apple,] I’d commission an italic version of Lucida Grande, and start using it in certain spots in the UI.
It is possible that, for Leopard, Apple has decided that the main system font should have proper italics support.

As for Safari recognizing what to italicize, granted, that's difficult, but then again Safari has had at least one rather complex mechanism already that other browsers lack: that of figuring out which words in a tab title are most relevant and distinct from others (as an example, when you have multiple AppleNova Forums tabs open like I currently do, parts of "AppleNova Forums" get cut off the tab title). Is it so much of a stretch to believe that they try and push this further?