View Single Post
theyoda3

2006-09-24, 03:48

Ok, so I'm in a mild dilema right now. I currently have a 12" 1.33 PB G4 with a 17" external display and was planning on updating to a new MBP when it comes out. I wanted to run Windows and be able to use engineering software. I use Final Cut Express, Photoshop, and the iLife apps along with the usual stuff and I also play games. I also wanted to increase my screen sizes because of the apps that I use. I have about $2500 now and have the developer discount to use. I can either get a 20" iMac with a 20" Dell Display with 256 vRAM, 250 GB HD, and 2 GB RAM.... OR I can get a new MBP when it comes out for about the same price, probably with just a 2 GB RAM upgrade. I'm a college student and use my laptop on campus once in a while. To me, the iMac seems like a great idea, except what if I want or need to run Windows on campus or something for engineering software? Will Desktop Connect be fast enough? Also, I've always loved the 15" Apple laptops, but have never bought one so the MBP is very appealing to me. Sometimes I do feel the 12" is cramped, but I do like how easy it is to transport and the battery life. I also have the option of attempting to sell the 12" PB and 17" display and getting a bigger external display for the MBP, but it isn't certain they will sell. Unfortunately, RAM prices have gone up for the MBP, so that doesn't help it's position.

Any thoughts on what you would do in my situation? I never thought I'd be here asking for this lol, but I kind of want to hear some opinions.

Thanks
-Chris