View Single Post
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-15, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, that review is even funnier than Harry's. I should've linked it earlier as well....

I say nothing in this thread as a trendy "bash Lucas" bandwagon jumper. I'm a fan, and have been since May of 1977. I love this stuff. I had/have the toys. My best friend and I lived and breathed this stuff during our childhood.....
Hey I was a star wars nut too back in the 70s / early 80s. Had the figures, x-wing, battled my best friend with the light sabres in the stairwell, yadda yadda... but the thing is, Lucas only had one truly great moment in all this and that is the first movie. It was so interesting and different it actually held our attention for two more movies, even though each one got progressively worse and less compelling. When the Ewoks arrived it was a harbinger of things to come. Replace substance with cute... replace stories with effects.

And I think we can all agree whatever art he had in him in 77, died 20+ years ago. The reviews are exactly right; this is all one giant commercial for the merchandise. While the scripts have sucked since Return, the story took a fatal nose-dive with Episode JarJar.

...into the light of a dark black night.