View Single Post
dglow

2023-01-27, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think it's simply that Apple increased the bandwidth. Their HDMI port works by converting the signal (from DisplayPort, I think); Apple's M chips have no native HDMI signal.
Apple does support HDMI natively. It needs to – HDMI uses a completely different signaling method from DisplayPort, one derived from the older DVI standard.

The most significant difference with DisplayPort (other than avoiding HDMI’s royalties) is that it is a packetized protocol, which is what allows it to be tunneled over Thunderbolt / USB4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me? I guess there were a few high end 2.5k monitors like ACD that came out in the early 2000s. Dates for that stuff is a little fuzzy in my mind, so much was coming out so fast between 2000-2010 time frame
Nah, you’re spot-on: the 30” Cinema Display, 2560x1600, debuted in 2004. We must thank Apple for sticking to 16:10 ratio displays; anyone who has used a 1440p monitor knows it is too short for anything not games or video.

The 30” ACD was a minor wonder of the world at the time. That much real estate cost a cold $3300. At ~$5150 in today’s money, it places the Pro XDR’s pricing in some context.

For the record, in today’s money the 30” ACD’s stand cost an additional $0.00.

Last edited by dglow : 2023-01-28 at 12:12.