View Single Post
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-03-12, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
If we as a society are going to shutdown and hide inside with no travel and no going to the office for the next couple of months, what is going to happen when all traces of this virus aren't eradicated? Isn't it just going to be a thing again? Like the normal flu/cold only different?
Normal flu/cold not only have much lower fatality rates but they don't see 10 - 20 % requiring hospitalisation.

Bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia......

You have to flatten the curve.

When all traces of the virus are not eradicated, it will flare again in subsequent waves. I'll predict now that, after their initial monumental fuck-up, China and the other Asian countries that are clearly now following the extremely well established epidemiological science of pandemics, will play wack-a-mole hard with the inevitable subsequent outbreaks. Thus avoiding overwhelming their health systems again and having far less impact on their economies. Unfortunately, this thing seems to be just so damned transmissible that will just be how it is from now until either we find a vaccine or we get lucky and it mutates into something less virulent.

But any one, any government, any world leader who thinks it can just be ignored and allowed to run through populations without catastrophic consequences is dreaming.

I also predict that masks will eventually be recognised in the West as an important part of the solution, as they already have been in the Asian countries that are showing the greatest success. I only bought a handful of masks because having looked very closely at the transmissability, determined that self-isolation is by far the most reliable way to avoid catching it and because self-isolating for months on end if necessary is easy for me, that's the way I'm dealing with it. I'm 58. I've already had one run in with a bastard virus. I hope this approach will keep it that way.

Depending on your age, comorbidities and how much community transmission there is near you, whether or not you should be wearing a mask should be part of the plan y'all are now making because I told you to. If, for instance, you're over 60 (50 even), diabetic and live near, say, Santa Clara, you should be wearing a mask now, at least when you're around groups of people in enclosed areas. Unfortunately, your chance of finding a mask now are buckleys and none.

Seems you know when shits hit the fan in your country because China donates a shitload of masks to you. That's what they did with Japan, SK and Italy. Sensible world leaders should not be finger pointing at China now. We're almost certainly going to need their help, it's in their self-interest to help (ATM) and they've got the resources we need.