View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-03, 12:04

Re: "spoilers", do you know what I do find infuriating? Friday night, and all day Saturday, I saw numerous articles online (Yahoo had gathered several, but a bunch more I found just poking around at various pop culture or hipster/tech/lifestyle sites).

And the idiot "writers" would put the reveal in the headline, and with large photos, many showing the version of the character we saw, but also superimposed with the other that we know from 1980-1983. So if the actual written headline didn't spoil it enough, we get a visual aid (and vice versa)...a double-hit of idiocy. And effectively spoiling it for everyone who came across the site Friday or weekend, well before having a chance to see the episode.

On many websites, headlines/artwork are unavoidable...you see those at the lead-in/gateway to the article itself. So putting a "spoiler alert" in the article, which is what all of them did for the article itself, does no good whatsoever when, before you even get to said article, the headline/artwork has already done the damage. Why did I have to explain this to professional writers (and I did). Because...they are neither.

I have zero problem with spoilers in articles, even minutes after something hits the streets. But you put it in the article, prefaced with a clear, noticeable spoiler alert at the very beginning of said article, giving the reader the choice to proceed or not. You DO NOT take that choice away by putting spoilers in the headlines for something less than 24 hours old. Period. Ever. Not up for debate.

That is a level of inconsiderate dipshittery that I can't even get my head around.

Unbelievable. I saw this all over the place Saturday (and even Friday evening, which is even worse). These "writers" all figured that since they saw it the nano-second it hit the Disney+ servers on Friday, then everyone else on the planet must have too.

So inconsiderate and unprofessional. Oh, I tore some people a new one this weekend...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-03 at 12:33.