View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-30, 10:18

Yeah, I’ve spent the past 48 hours soaking up all Edmund Fitzgerald info/lore I could. Its Wikipedia entry to start, then about 3-4 other stories/articles online and then about three mini-documentaries on YouTube as well.

Big ship!

I read that the bell, as you said, was brought up and in that museum. But they also sent a replica back down, inscribed with the names of the 29. It’s a graveyard. I like that it’s protected. People can’t go down and rummage/scavenge.

Another thing I learned is that due to the cold, the usual things that happen (bacteria growth, gasses, bloating, resurfacing, etc.) never took place, and it’s speculated/assumed that the remains are largely intact/preserved, and that normal processes have been greatly slowed.

Kinda eerie, but also strangely beautiful.

“Superior, they said, never gives up her dead…”.

I went from knowing it only as a song three days ago to absorbing all I can. Some sort of atonement/“making up for my ignorance” gesture, I suppose…

I would’ve been six when it happened, but I simply have no recollection of the event. And I always watched the news with my dad and I’d read his TIME magazines. I knew shit about Camp David, I was aware of Sadat and begin, Jimmy Hoffa (my grandpa was a Teamster member), I knew who G. Gordon Liddy was, I was aware of gas shortages, I remember the day Elvis Presley died, etc. All those things throughout the mid-70's. But, somehow, this story eluded me. Odd. I know it made national news (saw the footage of Harry Reasoner telling on the news), but maybe it was, after that initial report, largely tied to geography, and something “way up there” just didn’t get heavy, ongoing coverage down here. That’s probably part of it?