View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-02, 16:56

Hey, a heads-up to fellow Disney+ Star Wars viewers...

The latest issue of Vanity Fair (June 2022) has a big cover story on the four current/upcoming shows (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, the third season of The Mandalorian and 2023's Ahsoka). The cover is Ahsoka, Mando, Obi-Wan and Andor, all in costume/character, all standing together in a blue-lit scene/backdrop. Can't miss it.

EDIT: Ah, here you go...

Good article, with interviews with Favreau, Filoni, Chow, Kennedy, along with Pedro Pascal, Ewan McGregor, Rosario Dawson and Diego Luna...pretty much all the people you'd want to hear from, on both sides of the camera. Also a nice little section about the Volume, that curved wall LED virtual set they use, how it came to be (how it tricked James Cameron with its realism, etc.).

My neighbor subscribes, and she knows I watch this stuff so she let me borrow it to read. I'll give it back in a bit. I'm about halfway in, but it's interesting to hear how some of this has come about. The Obi-Wan thing was actually intended to be a movie at first, McGregor is an executive producer so he can exercise some control/call the shots over what he feels is best for the character. There's a section about Chow going to Hayden Christensen's house a couple of Christmases ago and laying out the show and why it's important for his Vader to be involved, and that he signed on afterwards.

Oh, and really nice photography, as usual, by Annie Leibovitz, of the actors in character and of the various directors, shlwrunners, etc. and then some behind-the-scenes shots too.

On newsstands now, as they say. Or if you know someone who subscribes/buys it regularly, hit them up to borrow it for an hour.

PS - Do you know how long it's been since I've read anything like this in print?! I'm on my couch, with my reader glasses on (yeah, I know...) and it hit me "this is the kind of thing I typically read online...". I honestly can't recall the last time I held a magazine in my hands! Years and years. Feels kinda nice, actually.

But is it weird I keep double-tapping the page, trying to make the text bigger?

There may be some way to read the article/see the photos at Vanity Fair's website, I don't know.

But it's definitely worth a read for those of us who watch/enjoy/discuss these shows. Ol' Uncle Paulie wouldn't steer anyone wrong on such important matters!