View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-03, 08:45

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I assume they'll meet again, and, due to whatever recuperating/focusing/encouragement (Qui-Gon? Yoda?) he'll hold his own and come out a bit more on top. Which would make sense...four duels, with 1 and 3 going to Obi-Wan (Mustafar and the final episode(?) of this show), while 2 and 4 (this past episode and A New Hope going to Vader). Nice little tit-for-tat/back-and-forth?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

But I'm betting episode 4 (and maybe 5) sees him finally being able to reach Qui-Gon, and that leading him to work on getting his skills and confidence back, and if/when he and Vader meet up again in the final few episodes, Vader will have his hands full this time. We all want to see Obi-Wan in prequel mode...the one who walked up to General Grievous and about 150 guards and started some shit, without a care in the world. It'll be neat to see a more confident, less fearful Obi-Wan face Vader one more time before their Death Star duel. Give Vader something to think about, the next 9-10 years.

"Holy crap, he nearly beat my ass...I kinda hope I don't run into him again!"

Also, I'm hoping we get a helmet-less Vader with some dialog. I'd like to see Hayden Christensen unmasked, but in that makeup/prosthetics actually delivering some lines, without the James Earl Jones voice synthesizer and all. Would be eerie to see that, and those yellow-red eyes. I have to believe they brought Christensen back for more than just wearing a mask, a 1-second shot of his made-up face and then that vision/hallucination of Obi-Wan's. There may be more of those. But, aside from that brief scene at the end of ROTJ with a dying Vader talking to Luke, we've never seen a younger, unmasked Vader talking/delivering lines. Not sure when it would be, but at some point between the bacta tank and being fully suited up, maybe an underling enters with some news/info and we see/hear the real Vader speak?

And aside from that, I wonder if we’ll get some sort of brief flashback of Obi-Wan and Anakin, pre-Vader/Order 66? That seems like a given, obi-wan thinking/dreaming about happier, better times. I assume all along that was one of the reasons Christensen was brought in (because anyone can wear the suit/mask and the injury makeup). Somewhere in all this has to be straight up Hayden Christensen, no mask or makeup, via hallucination or flashback?

Can't believe we're already halfway through. They've packed in quite a bit in these first three episodes, so I'm expecting the same, if not more, in the final three.

Knowing that Obi-Wan and Leia had this little adventure together ~10 years earlier kinda makes you see some of those scenes in A New Hope with different eyes.

"Years ago you served my father...". He did a little more than that. He left Tatooine for the first time in 10 years to come save/rescue you! We think of Luke being all sad on the Falcon after they escape the Death Star. Leia being Leia doesn't really seem affected. But, having seen this show, you know Obi-Wan's "death" hurt her too. The man who saved her life 10 years earlier being killed by her father (which she didn't know at the time). One could even make the case that Leia probably knew Obi-Wan (Ben) better than Luke ever really did? By the time this series wraps up in three weeks, the two of them will have spent more time together than the few days(?) Luke and Ben were together. Not allowing for any passing days/time jumps (which we never saw), from the moment "Ben" scared off the Sandpeople until Vader struck him down couldn't have been more than 24 or so hours, when you think of how everything flowed between the two above bookends...finding the slaughtered Jawas, Mos Eisley, realizing Alderaan has been destroyed and captured by the Death Star. Plays out like a single day to me.

Has that ever been revealed/discussed? Capella would know.

Starts to get all tragic, nuanced and layered after a while, doesn't it? There’s a way to fill in some of those blanks and gaps that feels natural and “well, of course”. And then there’s the more heavy-handed, contrived approach. This franchise has done both, but, fortunately, right now seems to be more of the former. Knowing Obi-Wan and Bail’s history, and what they (and Yoda) all know, of course Bail is going to ask Obi-Wan to find/rescue his daughter. It would be strange if he didn’t.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-03 at 09:25.