View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-06-09, 15:34

There are certain websites I refuse to visit (mostly news-related, and both sides of the political spectrum), but I don't think I "boycott" anything in particular, nor do I believe my refusal to shop/engage has any detrimental effect. Boycotts can certainly cause trouble for some companies, but the big guys have so many customers from both political spectrums that boycotts do more to bolster them than to deprive them of profit. A lot of companies have very loyal followings, and boycotts serve to spike those followings to the point that, sometimes, a boycott will create incredible profit opportunities.

I find it to be a — mostly — useless endeavor. Thus my refusal to do business with someone/thing has more to do with a lack of interest, or they've just pissed me off. I try very hard not to let political agendas dissuade me from conducting my business as I see fit. Thus, a company that sounds the bell for some political BS or other, well, I just tune that out the vast majority of the time. Neither "Walmart sells guns" nor "Walmart likes gay people" will steer me away from Walmart. I don't like Walmart because the place makes me feel dirty whenever I walk in there. Whom they choose to do business with is their, um, business! I still shop there from time to time because they have what I need when I need it at a price I am willing to pay. Just got a Blackstone grill and Walmart was the only place in town that carried it, so in I went.

What I find most entertaining about boycotts, however, are the vast numbers of people who join a boycott and then buy from that company anyway because habits! Hypocrites gonna hypocrite!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)