View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-22, 03:14

Ah, a nice wrap up. Took the long way around the bend to finally get here, but I enjoyed it on several levels. Now I've got my Tuesday nights back again...nice.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
- Several nice ties to Episode IV...sweet moments between Obi-Wan and Leia, and their goodbye. Her little hologram from Artoo, 10 years later, makes sense/carries proper weight.

- Always good to see Jimmy Smits Star Wars-ing it up, and in that mode. He, along with McGregor, was one of the better parts of the prequels. A good character, played well.

- 709 called it above...Palpatine via hologram, and we now know why Obi-Wan wasn't pursued/hunted down in the 10 years between this show and Episode IV. Possibly a major tactical error, but it's Palpatine's call/fault (Vader certainly wanted to continue the search for his former master).

- Vader and Obi-Wan's rematch was pretty fun to watch. Obi-Wan was more of a full-tilt bad-ass than we've ever seen him, doing some pretty Force-y stuff.

- We finally get that Hayden-in-Vader-suit moment, after Obi-Wan damages/cracks Vader's helmet. Some good, chilling acting by Christensen, and pretty much making it clear to Obi-Wan that Anakin Skywalker is no more. Vader is all that is left, and Kenobi finally accepts it. Obi-Wan lays a solid beating on Vader, messing up his helmet, life support box, etc. He should've finished him off when he had the chance, but then episodes 4-6 would've been pretty pointless.

- Nice shots/scenes of the Lars homestead, and we finally saw Beru. Owen and Beru have some fight in them!

- Reva lives. I was not expecting that. If this show gets a second season, I assume she'll factor in somehow? Or maybe not. But she chooses the light, refusing to hurt/kill Luke when she could've easily done so. Nice scene between her and Obi-Wan.

- They literally waited until the final, closing seconds to give us Qui-Gon. Full-on Liam Neeson, blue and glowing. I knew it would happen.

- It's a good finale, and, if no more is to come, the series is wrapped up nicely. No real cliffhangers to speak of, nothing that can't wait until Episode IV. Luke is safe, Reva turns, Vader is done with Kenobi, Leia is back on Alderaan with her adopted parents (but wiser for all that's happened) and Obi-Wan has left his cave dwelling and we assume he's off to find a nicer house. Nothing that has to be tackled/addressed, should a second season not happen. And, frankly, I think it shouldn't. I believe these six episodes said all that needs to be said about this character in that period between episodes 3 and 4. This show had a definite beginning, middle and ending. Sometimes it's nice to just leave it there. Anything else would just almost have to be a ginned-up re-hash, as we now that Vader knows nothing of Luke, Reva is no longer a threat and Vader is no longer going to continue hunting for Kenobi. A second season would just seem to undo all that for the sake of just having a show. I don't think that's a good idea.

- That scene between Obi-Wan and Leia on Alderaan was very sweet and will resonate with fans of the OT.

- Oh, and we get the Imperial March after Palpatine signs off. Vader sitting alone in his throne room on Mustafar...

- No real complaints in this episode. It didn't jerk around or waste time, and wrapped-up/addressed everything that needed so in its 52-minute runtime. Certainly the most satisfying episode. How could it not be...everything finally gets resolved, explained or otherwise tied up.

- A decent show overall, with a few rough spots, but overall a solid 7-out-of-10 for me? Some of the writing, endless detours, etc. weren't my favorite. But Ewan McGregor, the Vader/Anakin scenes and the overall look/vibe were solid and enjoyable. I liked the show way more than I didn't, and it was better (to me) than The Book of Boba Fett. But I truly think they should just leave it alone now. Just let these six episodes stand in canon as something that happened between episodes 3 and 4, nothing more, nothing less. That's my .02 anyway...

Okay, I'm going back to sleep. Enough of this 3am shit...for a while.