View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-05, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Tarantino's first (significant) film was actually "Reservoir Dogs," which I haven't seen.
Yeah, it was significant, but not widely seen or didn't catapult him to the "next big thing" stratosphere. I still consider "Pulp Fiction" the one that did that. All I remember is living in Orange County, CA at the time and leading up to Pulp Fiction's release, you couldn't find a magazine without Travolta or Willis on the cover, talking about this upcoming movie that was going to be "THE movie to see in 1994". Then after the release, when it took off, it seemed like every magazine and every episode of "Access Hollywood" or whatever had a bit on Travolta, Thurman, Willis, Jackson, etc. and Tarantino himself. That spaz came on to more talk shows and ran his mouth at 200mph during that year.

"Reservoir Dogs" simply didn't cause that type of stir, even though it was a pretty neat movie (like many, I didn't see it until AFTER "Fiction", renting it one evening to see what all the buzz was about).

The downside of the whole "Pulp Fiction" thing is that it inspired a whole boatload of cheesy crapfest knock-offs for the remainder of the 90's: violent crime sagas with forced, snappy pop-culture-laced patter amongst the leads, blood and mayhem, interweaving stories, stunt casting to the nth degree, surly guys all trying to do the Michael Madsen forehead wrinkle while talking tough, etc.

Just a lot of crap like "City of Industry" and tons of others, trying to out pulp "Pulp Fiction".