View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-06, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren
Wow, that's exactly what I wanted to say, thanx. :smokey:
Hey, I can "sit back and enjoy" movies with the best of them. In fact, I enjoy nothing more. What I CAN'T "sit back and enjoy" is cheeseball, intelligence-insulting, stunt-casted, test-marketed-to-death, derivative, lame, predictable, formulaic horseshit.

Some movies are nothing BUT that, and deserve to get panned and reamed.

Others, however, are the exact opposite and I'll go out of my way to praise and recommend them, both here and in real life.

Problem IS, the crap outweighs the gold. That's just how it is.

It's easier to make a safe, predictable and glommed-on-happy-ending crapfest starring one of 12 "mega stars" (Cruise, Clooney, Roberts, etc.) than to not...especially when studios and those who run them make the bottom line the chief (and sometimes ONLY) concern.

For every "Bourne Supremacy", you'll get three "Catwoman", two "Thunderbirds" and something probably starring Ben Affleck acting all earnest and misty-eyed for two hours.

Just how it goes...

When I lay my money down at the box office, I WANT to be mesmerized, entertained, moved, excited, thrilled, provoked, etc. It's not MY fault so much crap out there doesn't do it for me. I didn't make the piece of shit.