View Single Post
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2010-06-29, 07:13

I believe, at least around here, if you're caught, on top of fines, you will be forced to tear-down whatever you did and do it again so that it can be inspected.

For example, if you were building an addition, and that would have required inspection of a new foundation prior to framing, but you've already framed the structure to the point where the foundation cannot be inspected, you will be required to tear-down your framing, then pay all the usual fees (the ones you skipped) and a fine.

Really, what keeps people from skipping the fees/inspection process is the possibility of getting caught and having a very expensive tear-down and rebuild.

edit: I just realized I had a much better example of a costly tear-down. We're finally building a garage. Framing is nearly complete. The first inspection was for the rebar inside the footers. Now, imagine we hadn't had our inspections done and they required that we go back to where they can inspect that rebar. That sort of rebuild is what makes you definitely mind your p's and q's. Now, yeah, a little patio, maybe I wouldn't worry about having to tear that out and redo it, but is it really worth the cost of the fees?

Ugh.

Last edited by spotcatbug : 2010-06-29 at 08:31.