View Single Post
Dr. Bobsky

2015-11-04, 19:37

Ken, are you absolutely sure that items within chests are rendered? I ask because unless you are talking about mods that show items within chests (which do have this issue -- I believe we banned their use at some point when we were using ftb (talk about low fps!)), this doesn't make any sense whatsoever with how they are coded in vanilla minecraft (not least of which is the fact that you never actually see any items in the chest even when looking directly at it). While chests do cause fps drop (they are more complex to render than normal blocks, like hoppers), I don't think it has ever been suggested that it is the items within them causing the fps drop.

I never really responded to the supposition that I installed the beacons around my base to deal with lag or low fps (which on its face doesn't make sense as going faster would simply make things appear choppier), but really i just added them to move and mine faster. I only noticed very low fps occasionally, but, and this is important, most of my efforts in the basement were at bedrock level and the fps drops there are negligible.

Still, it's sad that that the complexity of cc has caused such issues over time, and really any complex area is going to suffer the same fate (cc is probably not helped by the massive amounts of digging underneath or the tall complex structures above). What I would recommend is that you have designated mining areas that get wiped on a consistent basis, otherwise you will simply dot the map with low fps regions. Also: spread farms out, to reduce entity spawns and counts. [an aside: What drives fps is what is locally rendering, not what is necessarily active on the server. While the spawn chunks are active, they do not render when you are outside of their render distance -- what this means is that lag can be explained by lots of stuff happening in the spawn chunks, but low fps is a mostly local issue. (lots of stuff generally means an active player causing the server to recalculate redstone/entities)]

Last edited by Dr. Bobsky : 2015-11-04 at 19:53.