View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-25, 16:02

When I update the server to 1.19, I may actually install a modded server. I will limit any mods to fixes and optimizations that do not require modded clients. So, you shouldn't notice anything different.

Why?

There's been a lot of talk recently of Microsoft's intrusive and risky chat monitoring and reporting changes that they've already made to Realms servers and will be coming to self-hosted servers in 1.19.1. One of the mods I intend to install will disable that functionality in the server because we're not a public server and I trust we can self-moderate just fine. Sadly, Microsoft doesn't seem to trust server operators to configure this kind of setting themselves, and "vanilla" servers have no way to opt out.

What's so bad about this new chat moderation? It's ripe for troll abuse and results in a player's account being disabled everywhere for any kind of play, not just the walled-gardened Realms servers.

I don't want us to risk even accidentally triggering one of these reports.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.