View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-02-11, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
But, then, I look at me and my beloved Star Wars, and just how little of an overall rip I give about it anymore, outside of the original trilogy and, to a lesser degree, The Mandalorian (which starts season three in a few weeks, I just learned a few days ago; I'd honestly kinda forgotten about it, which tends to happen when a show goes 2,740 weeks between seasons).
I don't care about Star Wars in particular, but for Marvel, for example, they're doing a pretty good job churning out shows and films. Yes, it's started to become formulaic (I don't really care for the big "The Avengers" films; there's just too much of everything), but there's gems in there. For example, Hawkeye is just a six-episode miniseries about one character. That's it. One and done. It's a good story told with high budgets and good actors, and leaves you wanting more.

So you can absolutely do that. And Trek has on occasion done that. Some of the Short Treks episodes do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I think it's a losing proposition, going back to a (tapped) well. They've got new Star Trek shows based on new characters. How are those doing?
The real answer is we don't know, because streaming services aren't required to release any numbers. As far as fan reception goes, there's different takes on them.

Discovery seems to be enjoyed by a fair amount of people, but also heavily disliked by others. I count myself among the latter camp.

Picard has seen a similar reception. I have far more complicated feelings about that one. I think there's interesting ideas in it (I rarely felt that way about Discovery). They just aren't executed well.

Lower Decks isn't my cup of tea, but a lot of people enjoy it, and more power to them.

Prodigy seems to be a bit of a sleeper hit. I haven't really heard of people who have watched it and hated it.

Finally, Strange New Worlds is a lot more like TOS/TNG/DS9/etc. were, and I enjoy it for that, though not yet to the extent that I'd call any of its episodes an instant classic.

So I guess the answer is: they're doing OK, but nowhere near as great as Disney has done with its Marvel and Star Wars properties, both financially and also in terms of fan reception.