View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-05, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I can understand straight line party voting, though. If your opinions on the issues that you care predominantly about ("your voting issues") coincide mostly with the general philosophy of one of the parties, then it makes sense to vote for that party's candidates. When I vote, I'm voting for issues, not personalities.
So much for the theory.

In practice, the larger the party, the more diverse views of individual candidates inside it differ. Both the Democrats and Republicans have a very wide range of different and in some aspect incompatible views. There's a reason for those "DINO" and "RINO" terms…

Quote:
It's too bad if people use party as an excuse not to find out anything about the candidates (because sometimes they disagree with the party on the issues you care about), but I'd rather have people voting for a general party philosophy than voting because one of the candidates had an affair or said something bad about somebody into a microphone 25 years ago, or something.
True.