Thread: iMac Pro
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-06-05, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
What would a Mac Pro bring to the table 6 months down the line to pitch people on when compared to the pro iMac.
One thing: Your choice of displays.

I don't think Apple made the statements that A) we are working on a new Mac Pro and display that will not ship this year; B) it will have to be re-architected; and C) we are working on a new pro-level iMac—unless those statements were all true. That "C" has been answered does not mean in any way that "A" and "B" are not also true. In fact, "C" being answered so soon tells us that Apple is being true to their word.

I was just taking a look at the internals, and here is something worth taking note of: The iMac Pro has 4 DIMM slots, and all 4 are upgradeable, but not by you. It appears the screen will have to come off.

Hard to tell from very early drawings, but the DIMMs look like they are packed in behind the logic board and placed in such a way that a rear trapdoor will not be feasible.

Also, don't expect to see these things until March 2018. If I know one thing about Apple, "December" is synonymous with "March the following year". The 2013 Mac Pro is proof of this.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the return of the wireless Pro Keyboard with 10-key = WOOT! In space gray = Double WOOT!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)