Thread: iMac Pro
View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2017-06-06, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Most of the people I know who would put that kind of money down on a machine (video/high end photo editors) want to pick their own primary monitor, for colour accuracy purposes.
Apple believes that software developers are one of their largest "pro" user demographics. Color accuracy doesn't mean much to them. They just need fast RAM and lots of cores, which this iMac delivers.

As for more "traditional" pro users, such as photo and video editors? Well they're waiting for the Mac Pro next year. (Hopefully.) But creative pros are no longer Apple's bread-and-butter "pro" users. Software developers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I simply don't buy the argument that Apple designed themselves into a corner with the trashcan enclosure.
So you believe that Apple didn't upgrade the Mac Pro for 1100 days out of... spite, I guess?

The whole problem with the Mac Pro is that it expects relatively even temperatures from all three sides of the cylinder. "Modular" upgrades would result in a hotter GPU and a cooler GPU, and in a traditional design these would balance each other out, but in the Mac Pro it doesn't matter if one components gets cooler while others get hotter: each side has a limit that can't be raised by budgeting it for it elsewhere.

It's not a lego set. You can't just drop in different components and hope for the best. The current Mac Pro with the relatively modest FirePros already has a high thermal failure rate. Updating the I/O would mean updating the chipset as well, and Apple's clearly not willing to do that on a dead-end design.

There's nothing particularly outlandish about Apple's stated reasoning for not updating the Mac Pro. The cooling system they designed was just too limited for hardware of that caliber. This severely limited their ability to perform even "modular" upgrades.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.