View Single Post
FentonH

2006-08-23, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedto
Hello guys:

My 20 month old iBook G4 won't boot up. I left it in sleep mode yesterday and found it turned off this morning, though it was plugged to the charger.

I tried to start it without the battery, and it went well for five minutes, but then froze and the screen started to go brighter and brighter. I forced it turned off.

After that, it won't start up again. Whenever I push the start button it does nothing but start the fans, and they speed up quickly and start running at top speed. I hear no chime, nor hard drive activity or optical drive noise. It does nothing but start the fans full power.

Battery lights respond OK, they do not blink or anything. It is not a RAM problem, I extracted a RAM module I put in long ago (December) and replaced it with the original - still no response. What can I do?

Thank you very much.
Sorry to hear this. The same thing happened twice to my G4 iBook (933 MHz), and both times it meant: logic board defective.

Unless you are within warantee or have applecare, Apple is very un-sympathetic about this. I spent a half hour on the phone with Customer "Satisfaction" today, telling them that two new logic boards within 23 months is 100% unacceptable. They refused to take any pro-active action on the situation.
-FentonH