View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2008-04-14, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerL
I have a Gateway XHD 3000, which I bought because of its superior image and connectivity to the 30" Apple Cinema Display.
Much better connectivity (and future-proofness), yes, but "superior image"? In what sense? Gateway is not known for making good monitors, and that model has a VA panel. I can find no mention of the backlight it uses, which is very important for wide-gamut colour accuracy. For these reasons I think it pretty unlikely that the XHD3000 would beat the Cinema Display on image quality. But I haven't seen it.

Cinema Displays are not as overpriced as some people suggest. They have good backlights and good IPS panels, good build quality and unobtrusive bezels. They are a known entity, relied upon by photographers and printers all over the world. There are better displays for sure, but value for money and "good enough" are important considerations too.

VA panels have improved more rapidly than IPS panels in recent years, but the fact that NEC and EIZO still use IPS tech in their best monitors suggests that IPS still has the edge for accurate colour. A lot of the VA models I've seen are also far too bright, meaning you have to turn the backlight down a lot to use them, resulting in tainted whites.

EIZO monitors, especially the low-end ones, do seem a bit overpriced though. Hardware calibration and software gadgets can only add so much value.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.