View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-02-25, 18:37

This isn't an answer to 'your' question, but a 'wrong change' incident happened to me a few months back. Clearly an intentional incident, however.

I always figure out what my change will be ahead of time, just for the heck of it. This time, I gave the drive-thru cashier a $20 bill and should have received $18.53 in change.

The cashier handed me the change, and said: "Your change is $15.53." I looked at the money lying in my out-stretched hand and just said "Uhhh...", with my eyebrows raised in surprise.

After a moment passed, with my hand still out holding the money and my mouth speechless, the cashier reached over to the side of the register, picked up three dollars that had been sitting there, and without a word, handed me the $3 that she had apparently planned to keep for herself. I just took the money, gave her an odd look, and drove to the next window to pick up my food. (This was a McDonald's, btw.)

When I got home, I called the phone number on the receipt and explained to the manager what had happened. I said that I felt sure he didn't want his employees cheating his customers, that if she had done this to 'me', she probably had been short-changing people on a regular basis, and said I hoped that he would do something about the incident.

Well, she certainly didn't get fired, because I saw her there afterwards. I hope the manager put her on probation or something, because she was certainly guilty of petty theft. Frankly, I could never look her in the eye later, because I really loathe people who steal from others. It makes me sick.

And she's probably still cheating people, because so many don't check their change. Tsk. Not checking your change just enables these creeps to continue cheating customers. Please... check your change.