View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-10-12, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Wow, holy crap. I can see why they changed back so quickly. There is always some controversy when a big company changes a well-established logo, but in this case it was deserved. That looks like something I could have made in 2 minutes on my old Mac IIcx in Illustrator 6 when I was 10!

Of course having a decent logo still won't convince me to ever buy something from them again.
The thing about the old logo was that you could take away any two of the three letters and show it to anyone and they'd still instantly recognize it as Gap. You can't design that sort of equity into a logo, even if you tried (and I'm not sure Gap really tried).

Also, the new logo looked very American Apparel. It also blended in too much with the rest of Gap's marketing materials and didn't stand out the way a logo should. It would be like if Apple didn't have the apple symbol, but just had the word "Apple" set in the same Myriad they use for everything else.

That, and the black-on-blue-gradient thing was just ugly.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong