View Single Post
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-18, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
All this talk about TC and TM got me thinking, what should I be really backing up and what should I skip? (For me, I have a 500 GB drive pretty full with another internal, so I have made the decision to eliminate certain things that I could get back if something bad happens.)

Anyways, here is what I do not back-up:

Applications
Applications (Mac OS 9) - Probably should delete this folder but always worried if I did something would "break"
Document Folders for everyone else in the family (since they have their copies via Foldershare)
FCE Documents (always can go back to the original tape)
Games
Microsoft User Data (why?)
Music (figure it is on the iPhone)
SW (not even sure what this file is for)
System Files and Applications
System Folder (from old Mac) - I probably could delete this one also, right?

So basically backing up most of my User folder.
Wow. I can't imagine having a 500GB drive full *without* my music library or applications. That's some serious data.

Anyway, I would back up your music for sure, as well as *any* folder(s) that have the words "user data" in them. (They typically have very small, yet very important, files in them.)

I don't do a full Applications back-up but I do back-up the non-Apple apps I have installed, which is a very short list (eFax, MaxBulk Mailer, Quicken, Handbrake, Transmit, etc.).

(BTW, what's that "Mac OS 9" thing you mentioned? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Because if you use Entourage for all of your email and business contacts, appointments, etc... you're utterly fucked if the database gets corrupted. How's that for a why?

Otherwise, in general I would only use it to back up one thing: my users folder, sans Library. Note this only works if you're one of those people who doesn't scatter documents all over the drive including at the root level.
I'm still using 10.4.11 but my Users folder doesn't have a Library in it. (The individual users have Library files in them, but I certainly wouldn't want to skip backing them up.) ???