Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2015-06-15, 09:22

GF and I got our matching 42mm Space Black Sport models this week!

Ordered May 17.
Original ship date was 'July', then June 17... Arrived June 10.

We're both absolutely loving them so far.

We both "switched" from Pebble (me since Xmas 2013... her since Xmas 2014).

Battery life has been excellent so far (not 6+ days on Pebble, sure... but as yet we've still got plenty left in reserve at the end of each day). Charging time has been equally impressive, as well.

Aside from battery life, the screens, the feature set, and apps on the Apple watch are in another league, and seem to outperform Pebble in every area I've tested:
  • Notifications are superior (and controlled with far more granularity)
  • Accelerometer/pedometer functions are superior (and integrated with Health App far more seamlessly, natch)
  • Vibrations and Haptic feedback are superior (stronger sensation, greater spectrum of possible pressure, and from Heartbeat to user tap transmission both more customisable and more intimate)
  • Public curiosity/inquiries are superior (with Pebble it was "what's that? What's it do? {after demo, cue mild interest}" ... Now it's "is that the iWatch? Looks gorgeous. What's it do? {after demo, cue technolust/purchase plans}" )

One of the biggest surprises was the very first thing we noticed... packing and packaging size.

Of course nobody can compare to Apple in the artistry and elegance of its packaging. The 'unboxing experience' was practically defined by our favourite Fruit designers. Even before I had got to the juicy technology at the centre of the paper and plastic wrapping, I caught myself saying "Niiiice!" at some of the efficiency of simple 'pull here' minimalist arrows that led deeper into the packaging, and the clever origami unfolding of the prongs on the UK plug.

(I took some unboxing shots, but in hindsight could have done them better... is that too fanboi-ish?)

And yet...

Pebble came in a wee box 65 x 70 x 95 mm
Apple Watch Sport box was 65 x 75 x 330 mm

Maybe subliminally choosing a more substantial box was meant to give the product extra cachet. Hmmm...

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.