View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-22, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Isn't that kind of what iPadOS is though? Desktop goodies (including external drives & mouse support) on an iOS device. Full Photoshop CC and I'm sure Illustrator is in the works. The iPad Pro is fast becoming a touch-screen MacBook, no?
Yeah.

I think for the next five years or so, it’s exactly what Craig made clear with the ginormous “No” slide. They’re not merging. They’re letting each platform be its best.

This isn’t the Windows 8/10 strategy, and I have no doubt Apple took a close look at how that turned out (not so great! Especially at first), and don’t want to repeat those mistakes. The touch screen laptop from Apple is the iPad Pro. The keyboard+trackpad tablet is the MacBook Air. It’s not a perfect straight line, but it’ll work.

Second, shared framework code! iOS has always shared tons of code with OS X, and it’s only increasing. With SwiftUI, that’s going even further.

The open question is whether there exists a third step, five, ten, fifteen years from now. Are the Mac and the iPad forever?

I’m not sure even Apple knows.