View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-05, 22:27

I am normally one to build hackintosh systems and ensure any PC component I buy will be able to run macOS too. Now it is different. My children require a PC for some school specific things. While their normal computers will be Mac, I want a PC for gaming now too. My son is really enjoying GOG (thanks 709 ), as well as the recent upgrade from Xbox Gold to Ultimate Gamer Pass (or whatever it is called). This means more PC games being available to us for free now.

So I'm looking to build a system that is powerful, but not necessarily bleeding edge. My goal is get most of the components during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. I can start picking up pieces now, but my focus is in a few months. My system will likely be wifi connected since I am not expecting to get an ethernet drop to where it will be right now. Generally speaking, this shouldn't be a problem for 802.11ac through out my house, I just read that gamers like to wire connect when they can.

If you were going to build a Windows gaming PC today (20190905), what would you use?
Would you go AMD or Intel?
What graphics card is the great for PC gaming while not necessarily being the best?
For SSD would you go PCIe or SATA? (I would assume HDD for mass storage.)
What brand motherboard would you look at and what features are critical?
Is there a specific wireless adapter you would use for 802.11ac?

In the end I'm not loyal to anything with this build. I plan to make it a PC and always a PC. Any input would be appreciated. I know I can do all of this on my own, but I know there are some on these forums who have done some great builds and keep up with these specs more than I do.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.