View Single Post
Dr. Bobsky

2019-08-09, 05:01

Meh. I have a three year old phone and absolutely no need at all for a replacement. It functions. It's battery life is fine. I don't see myself buying a new one until I absolutely have to replace it (if it lasts me a decade, I'd be happy with the money I spent). To accommodate this, I have spent a fair amount of money on protecting it in higher and higher quality phone cases (I'm done now, the real leather case I have now will likely outlast the phone). I don't think we're in the era when phones are increasing in quality and apps are increasing in hardware needs that replacement every few years is normal or desirable.

Apple, Samsung, and Google are in this unenviable position where they have to keep topping off their phones because no one wants to buy year old hardware, but there is a much smaller new phone market than a decade ago. Any update is going to be disappointing and is unlikely to drive more purchases or a renewal of that fresh/exciting early smartphone era.

Phones, like computers are 'returning' to white goods status rather than status symbols...