View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-05, 01:20

I guess Apple considers 5400 RPM hard drives to be in the realm of pro customers, the ones who buy PowerBooks. There are a lot of features that are only available in the PowerBooks.

I think this will change fairly soon... mobile hard drives are slowly but surely getting faster and larger. Right now the biggest 4200 or 5400 RPM hard drive you can get is 100 GB, and the biggest 7200 RPM is just 60 GB. Soon those numbers will be pushed up to 120 GB and 100 GB, respectively. And that is just the beginning. With laptops and MP3 players getting to be so popular, storage companies are looking for ways to compete aside from just offering a fuck-ton of space for desktops. I mean, there's a limit to how useful a 600 GB hard drive is over a 400 GB. Most desktop owners don't need more than 120-160 GB anyway. But laptop owners are not only restricted to 100 GB currently, but they also tend to be a bit more demanding.

If I remember correctly, desktop hard drives got to 120 GB several years ago and shortly after that, they rocketed to 250 GB in rather short order. I'd like to see laptop hard drives do the same.

By the way, my comments about Bluetooth are based on what I've read and heard in various places. I haven't actually used an Apple Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, I've just heard bad things about them. But since I haven't used them, you can't consider me to be a great authority in the matter... I was just offering my opinion based on what I know.