View Single Post
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-12-30, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Have some members been deleted but their uids not reallocated?
Without knowing anything about vBulletin, that would be my guess. It's all in a database, where UIDs are assigned starting from 1, and counting up. That sequence never resets itself to reclaim deleted UIDs, so if six users have been deleted over time, you'd see UID 9996 with only 9990 users registered.

Quote:
Are there 6 imaginary members?
Well, this is the Internet. Are any of us actually real?

Quote:
Will the 10,000th member be the member with uid 10,000 or the 10,000th member as the crow flies, so to speak?
As the crow flies, I'd say. That is, it's going to be the "newest member" when the member count hits 10,000.

Quote:
Can't the forum software count?
Yep, but it only counts up from the day it started at 1.

Quote:
Is everything going to break when we hit 10,000 sort of like AN's own mini-Y2K or something?
Doubtful, but it might if we should ever have 2,147,483,647 members. But if that happens, we probably have other problems.

Quote:
Should I be stocking up on bottled water and tinned food?
Uhhh. Sure! Remind me to by stock in Coca-cola, Starkist, and Campbell Soup Company.

Quote:
How am I supposed to know who to congratulate for being the 10,000th member?
Something like I said above, whoever's listed when the member count hits 10,000.

Quote:
Bother
I don't think you were actually looking for answers, so I went ahead and answered. No offense intended.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.