View Single Post
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-08-19, 19:43

Firstly, thanks everyone. I suspected those two programs were what i was after. I did a fair bit of searching through google and found a lot of info, but really wanted other people's experiences. I still have Aperture but i think it's an older version. I'll update it and see how i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I've never used Lightroom but I love Aperture for it's photo management. It really streamlines the entire process you're talking about.

You've got to let go of managing your photos in the way you have. I can't imagine using the finder for any sort of photo management - you can't see any of your metadata! How is that even remotely satisfactory?
It's the most painful process. I've had very little time lately to sort out something better though. At the moment i just needed to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Hi Trav.

First, have you had a career change - I thought you used to be a video editor or something? Congratulations if you have, though. I think having a career in photography would be great.

It will also automatically save web versions for you. Look at some plug-ins too, depending on where you publish your photos online.

Give it another shot. Once you learn it I'm positive you won't go back to how you were used to working,
Yep i've had a bit of a career change. I was working for a major company doing their films. They asked me to do some photos for PR reasons after a while. I did photography at uni so i wanted to get back to doing what i loved more than film. So after a while i bought my own gear (a D200, some lenses you recommended and a few others). I wasn't happy with the company i was working for so i left and moved down with my brother. I still do the films sometimes, but not near as much as photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Also, bookmark http://www.bagelturf.com/ for very helpful for tutorials related to Aperture.

I also subscribe to "Inside Aperture" as a podcast. You might find it a helpful resource too.
I actually had a bit of a search through iTunes' podcasts and found this one.

Aperture sounds like it's perfect for my current workflow. Especially as the latest versions don't need me too store the photos in the Library. I just don't like that for some reason.

If anyone knows wether Aperture exports a web friendly JPEG easily that would be great to know before i get too involved as well.

Thanks again!