View Single Post
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-08-28, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
This is a neat idea, and as you've said: the ecosystem can afford players like Roku AND AppleTV. The only problem with this brave new world of homegrown upstarts is Balkanization. Many mouths means reduced majority, but for these folks a small following is sufficient.
(...)
*bump*

Just like back in the 80's

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing because the requirements, both in terms of licensing and technical development are much lower on new platforms that enter the market though the low end. Just think about how technically simple the first native games for iPhone were compared to the average Xbox game. This allowed a lot of new upstarts to enter a market where they previously couldn't afford to even buy a developer license, but then they got the opportunity to grow with their platform. And entry costs don't come much cheaper than this Ouya thing. Also, the market for this stuff has grown by a lot since Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo last rearranged the market between them and with digital downloads all you need to move physically is the console itself which happens to be conveniently small to that end.

Besides, if you can Kickstart a new console platform, then you can also Kickstart a new game which it appears is happening quite a lot. Sure players won't get big franchises like Call of Duty, but I'm sure somebody will produce a knock off (not necessarily as shameless as Samsung) once demand is ripe for it.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Shameless Kickstarter plug: I was actually searching the forums for a dedicated Kickstarter thread in order to announce my first pledge to a project: $ 25 to Project Giana. Ok, I know it used to be a Mario konck off, but I've always liked it more than Mario, so ban me, Brad.

Rather than creating new thread just for that, I decided to tie it into this one since the project has a stretch goal for an Ouya version, which they will never make, but maybe they will give it another try later if they survive the first round.