View Single Post
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-14, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I think it can be summed up better in this maxim:

"An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they never get it wrong"

I have a couple of problems with that article vs. playing and making music in general. But in terms of a professional studio situation, it is spot on.
I agree, there's a definite difference between typical performances and studio recording.

The ability to record music definitely changed the expectations of music performance. I can go watch the local symphony perform Holst's The Planets and only catch a few mistakes, or I could go to the store and buy a CD of one of the world's best orchestras executing the same music to sheer perfection.

When you put a musical performance "down on paper", so to speak, it's instantly part of a worldwide archive. If it's yet another performance of a previously-done work, it's also saddled with the burden of being compared to any other recording before or since. It HAS to be insanely good to even be noticed.

And, yes, in the studio, time is money, so the musicians need to be able to throw down a track that, while not as energetic or risk-defying as they might want to play, is accurate and clean enough to serve its purpose. It's no wonder that music track producers turn to synthesized music and Garageband loops for "good enough" musical background noises.