View Single Post
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-08-14, 08:54

On vacation in June, my iPhone 13 slipped out of my shorts multiple times as I was sitting down. Makes sense; those stupid phones are way too long to properly fit inside the pocket. Well, the floor was stone. Oops.

So I got myself a dumb rubber case. Makes the whole thing much bigger, but also grippier. Plus, if it should fall down like this, probably far lower risk of damage.

Except… now it's August, and temperatures are further up, and now much of the time, the phone refuses to charge beyond ~80% while I'm using it. This isn't the optimized battery charging stuff, mind you; this is the phone having a "charging paused while temperature high" message on the lock screen. (Annoyingly, that message doesn't show up as a push notification, so you don't even really notice that charging has stopped, rather than merely slowed down.)

If I then pull the thing back out of the case, and turn on airplane mode, and turn on low power mode, and just leave it like that for 15 minutes, it proceeds to charge again. Cool.

So this is less than ideal. I kind of like that the iPhone 4-style design is back in the 12/13, but if it means they made it so thin it easily overheats while charging? Hmm.

Anyway, I presume the problem is that whatever rubber-like material this is doesn't conduct the phone's heat well, so it gets trapped inside. Which makes me wonder: are there cases that keep the phone cool? Does placing ice cubes below the phone (wrapped in a towel, say) do anything? How aren't people in warmer climates going bananas dealing with a phone that won't charge?