View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-03-04, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmC View Post
Your unidentified object looks like a star that not visible when the moon is fully lit. Kind of like not being able to see the stars during the day. I totally missed it. I was otherwise preoccupied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
The object you're seeing is likely due to the same phenomena that allows us to see the sun's corona during a Solar eclipse.

When the moon was eclipsed, it's relative brightness was shot to shit, so we could see stars that shine from afar whose light is normally drowned out by that of the moon. Likewise, the sun is so bright that we never see its corona at daytime, but when its main body is blocked by the moon, we can suddenly see the corona around it.

Note: I'm a dork, and wanted to use names like "Sol" and terms like "luminance." Oh, I need a life.
The problem with this being a star is the path of the moon and the light next to it. The object is overtaking the moon heading up in the pictures. The Moon is also heading up in the pictures. As you can see the in the second picture it is higher in relation to the moon than in the first picture.

Though it just dawned on me, I didn't reference it to the other stars around to see if it was stable when compared to the other stars out there. I'm sure it was nothing, it just surprised me and I didn't notice it until after I was looking through them after getting home.

Thanks for the compliments all. For those who missed it. The eclipse happened from about 6pm to 7pm EST. After that it started to clear the shadow of the Earth and was an unhindered view of the full moon at about 9pm.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.