View Single Post
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2011-01-12, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Ha! I agree with Matsu. The DPReview homepage is a good place to get an overview, and the CES landscape is pretty barren. Generic 16 mp compacts as far as the eye can see... The best of them are probably only marginally better than the worst.

One welcome trend is the move towards integrated GPS, but not everyone will see the point of geotagging, and many will find it difficult even if the manufacturers use SiRFstarIV in these new cameras (and I don't know that they do).

The Oly XZ-1 has impressed Richard Butler, but I see it as only another LX3 copy - minus the LX3's useful 24 mm-e wide-angle.

The Canon S95 is a pocketable camera with good picture quality, and in that strict niche it has no peer. The Panasonic LX5, Canon G12 and Nikon P7000 have more features, better lenses, and better build quality, but they're heavier and bulkier. If you want an S95 I think now's the perfect time to buy: it's been out just long enough for the price to come down from the initial gouge-point.

ok, getting my eldest a new camera for her birthday. her old panasonic z3 whatever was a beautiful, smallish, great camera that died after a year...grrrr. looking to replace it...she wants good, quick photos, easy to carry and would like HD video (my first grandchild is on the way this may...a camera that does photos and video is a must)

So the Canon s95 vs the Nikon P7000...which would people suggest? Both, after a very quick search (will do more of course ) are around the same price it seems.

Thanks

Gavin

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough