View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-01-12, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Personally, I'd take a full frame 35mm DSLR, but I'm not paying full freight for a new one at this point in the cycle, not even for a used one. Not until we see it's replacement. Buying any D700 now is too much of a guess from the sale-resale end of things.
I've stated something similar in the past, but am wondering if my resolve will hold. What happens if the D700 replacement is 18 megapixels and strictly $3300? The D700 might hold its value for ages. If the replacement is 24 megapixels and $2500, D700 prices will fall quickly. But I think $2500 is unrealistically low, especially when everyone is raising prices (Canon has further price increases coming in February).

Your $2000 hope is downright forlorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
My camera has a zoom!!
Nikon has you covered, drewprops:
"What we're seeing in the point-and-shoot business is that the next big thing is going to be about zoom range. You know, currently our P100 has a 26x zoom range, and we have our 8100 which has 10x in a very slim package. We'll continue to develop that long-zoom strategy, and we'll expand that as new products start to come out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
So the Canon s95 vs the Nikon P7000...which would people suggest?
I agree with everything PB PM said. LX-5 has better video, and a wider and faster lens, but is not pocketable; S95 is a little more limited but is significantly smaller and lighter. I wouldn't recommend the P7000 or G12 unless you think your daughter is very likely to want to learn the ins and outs of photography as a craft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
any thoughts on sony camera's? sony wx5...is nice and small...
...but not nearly as good as a Canon S95 in terms of picture quality, especially in low light (anything indoors). You'd notice the quality difference even for Facebook photos, etc., — I'm not talking about nuances only a pro photog would care about.

I'd say the Canon S95 is by far the best pocketable camera on the market right now. Which isn't to say I'd buy one: I prefer my LX3 (immediate predecessor to the LX5), with its 24mm wide-angle setting. But the LX3/LX5 is not pocketable: the lens bulges out annoyingly even when retracted.