View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-22, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
I also run a couple Synology units for ages but have had hiccups. I've had the OS fail requiring reinstall but all MY data/drives were restored easily using their Hyper Backup app. However, system settings and most app configs were not backed up as I had hoped and I did spend a day redoing all that annoying stuff.
How do OS upgrades on the Synology normally happen? How would you "factory reset" and reinstall it from scratch? Is there a way to back up its settings, or are you just stuck redoing everything manually like you experienced?

Also, are you able to get a root shell (ssh?) into its system (not your files)? Or are you limited to what you can poke in their GUI?

Quote:
The only bug I've experienced is with BTRFS and Plex in a Docker container. The tmp folder and btrfs didn't behave together and created a 5TB container that was a bit hard to track down because you have to SSH with admin to access the entire directory. After finding the rogue data, it was a simple fix.
I'll have to be on the lookout for that. I use jellyfin which is an open source product very similar to Plex, and I would likely run it on the NAS in Docker like this too.

Quote:
There is no docker compose, and lots of crap doesn't install/work with the GUI tools. I've had the most success installing by script.
Maybe this is answering my earlier question about root shell access, but could you install docker-compose somewhere via command line? Or are you limited to what the GUI apps provide?

Quote:
Virtualization does take a bunch or resources. The CPU isn't... well it works for a NAS but loading an OS loading an OS takes some sweeeeet time. I run DSM 6 running DSM 7 in a VM. There are some app features I like that are no longer supported in DSM 7 and others that didn't exist in DSM 6. But once its up and running, Its nice and snappy. I upped the RAM myself from factory. It uses pretty available modules. There are CPU limitations so watch out for those. You can install more RAM than the CPU can address (if memory serves) and once it hits that threshold, weird things happen.
This was something I was concerned about too. I see that all Synology products have the CPU soldered to the board, and the "mid range" DS920+ I was just looking at has a Quad-Core 2GHz Celeron J4125. At least I could upgrade the stock 4GB RAM to 8GB. Totally fine for the storage side of NAS, like you said, but I'm surprised it would run well with demanding services like Plex (I assume you're not transcoding anything in HD?) and Minecraft (just a couple LAN players?). If I were to build something, of course I'd have the freedom to throw any chip in there, and I'd start with something way better than a Celeron (at least an i3 or i5).

Quote:
Hope this helps!
It does! Thank you!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.