View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-19, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I assume you all run your systems with a UPS? What happens if there is a power outage?

Most of my systems are on UPS, yes. My network router, a raspberry pi, and my NAS share one UPS. My hackintosh/desktop in another room has its own UPS. And of course laptops and phones effectively have built-in UPSes. Since the router is on UPS, if/when there's an outage, all of my essential systems are still running, and I can connect to other devices to shut them down cleanly.

Both of my UPSes have a USB data port that can signal to a PC what the current capacity is and when it's switched from mains to battery backup. I know macOS has rudimentary support for this, and I've seen options in TrueNAS, but I haven't actually configured anything around it. If I expected flakier power in my home, I'd probably configure my NAS and hackintosh/desktop to shut down automatically after a minute or so of battery-only power, but I haven't bothered.

Also, both of these UPSes start beep-screaming after several seconds of lost mains. If power went out in the middle of the night while I was asleep, I'd probably be awakened pretty quickly by the chirps in other rooms, kind of like how a smoke detector with a dying battery chirping on the other side your home will still wake you up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.