View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-03-13, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I am admittedly NOT someone who tracks what has been happening in smartphone photography space, and am not super familiar with the adjustments these gizmos are making on the fly on my behalf.

Can we use some concrete comparisons?

The nightclub and alcohol bottles example is helpful.

Is MY iPhone inserting non-existent imagery into my photos?

I really want to know about it, if it is.

As for as I know Apple is only using machine learning, not AI correction from an image database. Machine learning is basic form of AI, allowing programmers to improve algorithms. Over time the Apple system will improve images based on what Apple says it can. The AI kind of learns and implements improvements itself. At least that's my rather surface level understand of the difference from my friend who is into this stuff.

So is Apple doing things to enhance the images your iPhone's camera takes? Yes. How much? Apple decides and changes it over time. Are the using an image database to improve your photos? I'd say there is a very good chance that they are using some kind of image database. Every camera maker is doing that, from smartphones to dedicated cameras like your Fuji. Back to Apple though. How much are they doing to your photo, and will you'd notice? Unlikely you'd notice unless you could get your hands on a RAW file from the camera. If you use the portrait mode you likely will see skin smoothing and such things going on.