View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-19, 12:31

No, but he's allowed express his opinion.

Idunno. Since 709 opened up that can of worms, I think I might agree with him. I'm cool with AN members bringing their friends onboard, but when those friends start bringing their friends onboard it starts to feel less like a server of a bunch of friends and more like a bunch of strangers.

I mean, not to be rude, but nobody (but turtle) knew you before you joined our server and while you did join the forums ten months ago and have posted in GamingNova some, you're still pretty much a stranger to many of us. To be blunt, you're still "turtle's friend." Speaking for myself, I don't really know you at all, and I've actually gotten the impression that you don't particularly want to get to know me, though I don't want to poison the well.

I'm not trying to sound cliquish, but I hope you understand that many of us have been here for years — the better part of a decade, now! — and we all go back a long way. We're probably an unusually close-knit community, by Internet standards. AppleNova is a very special forum, and we're happy to grow and make friends with cool new people, but I hope you can understand that we also all keep coming here because it's not just a bunch of strangers.

You do have a good point, about AppleNova as a whole not being able to grow if we don't let "noobs" join. But I hope you can also see that to many of us, you're still a noob (no offense). And we're cool with that! We love noobs. But you're the first still-new member to also want to invite another person, and now another, so this is sort of new territory for us, and people might have mixed feelings. We're happy to have new blood in the neighborhood, but we also want to still be, you know, a neighborhood.

I hope you can understand that it's nothing personal, and anyone weighing in on the matter is just passionate about our community.

Re: why Etnie got whitelisted, I know I personally had these same qualms about Etnie joining, but he was whitelisted before I articulated them. Like I said before, this is all sort of new territory for us, so forgive us if it takes us a bit of time to figure out how we feel about things.

AppleNova is very much Not A Democracy, and in the end it's not up to us plebs, but I would be interested in hearing what other members of the community feel about this, especially if they disagree with 709 and I.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong