View Single Post
Quagmire
meh

2014-11-09, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Yeah, MacBooks and the recent, thinner iMacs are *really* not designed for any kind of use that stresses either the CPU or GPU for more than a few seconds at a time; the case internals just can't dissipate that kind of heat, and so they have to be throttled (in some cases, severely) to compensate. Even then, those components often end up running hotter than they're designed to, potentially reducing their useful lifespan (in one case described in the MacRumors thread you posted, the high-end GPU in one tester's Retina iMac ran at 106ºC for an extended period of time during a gaming test session, which is crazy; most chips are designed with a maximum operating temperature of 100ºC).

This is precisely why I use my iMac for everything but gaming, and keep a PC around dedicated for that purpose.
What's even more crazy is people on that thread are perfectly fine with those temps of 100 C +. Calling people who say it is not good to run it at those temps fools and saying Apple tested it they are sure and it is fine...... People have way too much blind faith in Apple. Yes the GPU may be technically within its thermal limits, but it doesn't change the fact that heat=bad for the GPU and surrounding components.

While I am happy with my Late 2013 27" iMac i5 with the 780M playing X-Plane with temps of 56 C for the CPU and 63-66 C for the 780M with the fan at 2600 RPM( Those are the idle temps of my Early 2008 17" MBP).

giggity