View Single Post
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-07-31, 22:59

LOL, no, they expect 90% of the proceeds when I sell it. But they'll end up using the money to pay me, so it all comes back to me one way or another
And, with the upgraded RAM and AirPort card, this puppy is worth $900 easily, based on final selling prices at eBay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Dude, someone just GAVE you a PowerBook G4? Now, with this old iMac, it really isn't worth more than about $100 (even if it had a working CD drive), so for the computer illiterate, it's not worth keeping around. But PowerBook G4s... they are very nice, and still worth quite a bit (even for the old ones, you should be able to get probably around $700).

Oh yeah, and MCE's CD-RW drive costs more than just buying an extra used iMac off eBay for parts. I dunno, maybe I could somehow rig up a smallish CD-ROM drive, assuming I'd be able to find one. But it's DEFINITELY not worth the $179 price tag MCE puts on it. As much as they'd like you to believe it, iMacs don't use special "Mac-only" optical drives. They're just smaller versions of the same thing you can get anywhere else for $10-$20.
yeah, it would be much more worthwhile to hunt eBay for a old iMac CD drive for cheap.

Acutally the drives are made for laptops. If I had a Bondi nearby, I'd check the System Profiler for the exact make/model of the OEM drive.