View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-29, 20:15

Wow. That little duck who was shot and spent two days in the fridge is back in the news. Apparently she was in surgery to fix her injured wing and she basically died. Twice.

Quote:
"The first time she stopped breathing, a quick thump on the chest brought her back," Ms May told the BBC News website.

"But once the surgeon started sewing her back up she stopped breathing again, this time for 15 seconds."

When a second thump failed to bring Perky round, veterinary surgeon David Hale tried manipulating the duck's beak, before using a needle to shock her into consciousness.

At one point the duck was given pure oxygen through a face mask, Ms May said.

"At that point the vet turned and said: 'I'm sorry, she's gone.'"

The room fell into shocked silence as those present took in the news, but then Perky raised her head and began flapping her wings.

The relief reduced everyone to tears, Ms May said, describing one of her colleagues as "extremely emotional" as she left the room.

"For the duck to have gone through all of this and then to die at that time was a real shock," Ms May said.

"This duck has taken us all on an emotional rollercoaster," she said, adding that Perky has since recovered well and is staying out of trouble.
I love animals, and I'm so glad there are people in the world who care about them as much as I do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6309159.stm