View Single Post
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-05-26, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
The vast majority of Cars and Trucks are NOT made in China nor are the parts.
Okay.

Quote:
The vast majority of computer software is NOT made (or coded) in China (although they like to copy it for free).
As I said, I'm interested in physical goods, not intellectual property.

Quote:
The vast majority of all oil and petroleum products are made from crude oil that Doesn't come from China.
Not the oil, but the stuff that's made from it (plastic toys/goods/parts).

Quote:
Most food does not come from China.
But more and more. Also, toothpaste.

Quote:
China Makes MOSTLY plastic junk you get in target or Walmart.
Wrong. Most goods (other than textiles) come from China. The only thing I've seen so far from India and Bangladesh (and the odd South American country) were clothes. Also, the impulse for starting this thread came from a book printed in China.

Quote:
As far how an economy can exist on IP only... I don't know at all.. I don't think it has ever been tried so this is the first time. Maybe it will work out.
And maybe it won't, that's my question. I doubt that the intellectual property is worth much. As you say yourself, it can be easily copied. For every new product, there are dozens if not hundreds of knock-offs. It's only a matter of time until the people making those will start figuring out a few innovative ideas of their own and sell their own products without the need for a "Designed in California" sticker.