View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-11, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
We're supposed to think all this shit is really cool, and the end-all/be-all of civilization and life itself. It really isn't, is it?
It is really cool, though.

You got a mobile phone (with video!) and a calculator and an alarm clock and a map and a camera (with video!) and a little web browsing machine and so much more in… your pocket. If you had told me that twenty years ago, I would have said "nah, you're exaggerating" (there's an inappropriate 9/11 joke in here somewhere) and would have thought "yeah, but the experience is probably awkward; slow CPU and all that". But no, not even that; the CPU is faster than what many have at their desks!

Like, when I started at this job many years ago, I used a big fat book containing a road map to figure out how to get there. Today, that would be a stupid way of approaching it; I'd just open Apple Maps and/or my local public transport's app.

I don't think getting rid of third-party apps is the answer. I don't know if getting rid of App Store exclusivity is; instinctively, it seems to be, but that does indeed worsen overall safety, privacy, simplicity, etc. Apple isn't all wrong on that part.