View Single Post
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-08-10, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Is this unprecedented? Did Nixon's home get searched for Watergate documents or anything like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
It's not unprecedented.
"I share the deep concern of millions of Americans over the unprecedented search of the personal residence of President Trump. No former President of the United States has ever been subject to a raid of their personal residence in American history." - Mike Pence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
That's a good point. Somehow I forgot that Trump is the only recent president who didn't really treat the White House as his home.
Biden also spends a lot of time at his Delaware home. Who he meets with there is a mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Politics is not religion, it’s tribalism.
It mostly rests on ideology and worldview though, so I think it's a bit of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Just imagine what those agents needed to put into that warrant application in order to get a judge to sign off on a search warrant to go into a former President's home. I doubt it will ever be fully released, but that would be a fascinating document.
See, this would have been a good argument if the world hadn't already seen Democratic operatives use their own opposition research resources to launder a host of lies [aka the Steele Dossier] in front of a judge to get wiretaps on their political opposition.

Given that the FBI's choice of judge is particularly interesting, I'm betting that the warrant will be a source of controversy until its contents get leaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
It could end up galvanizing support for Trump and get the entire base of his supporters to get even more fervent, or it could finally close the loop on Trump as the head of the Republican Party.
I'm guessing they hoped Trump would declare his candidacy early because of this, turning the midterms into a referendum on him and sparing Democrats some of the shellacking they are about to receive. So far Trump doesn't seem to have taken the bait, though his ego might still do him in.

Raiding a former President's home over the Presidential Records Act is ridiculous overkill and only confirms that all this is just a pretext to prevent him from running again. Which it likely is. Left wingers will defend the move as aggressively procedural, and right wingers will continue to raise the Banana Republic arguments.

But U.S. Centrists/Independents are the key, and I can't seem them going along with targeted political opposition raids.