View Single Post
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-11-21, 22:35

Lol a cohesive ecosystem of ... cables.

The formula has clearly changed in the past 2 decades. Yes, it's been almost two decades. Cellular networks are advancing at a faster pace than 802.11 is. The personal computer has been distilled down to a handheld device for the most part. Of course Apple is going to move away from building the boring infrastructure devices. Ever visit the networking aisle at Fry's? Routers are a commodity item like SD cards at this point. Apple doesn't make those either.

And what about the ToucBar-less MacBook Pro? It's pretty obvious to me that is the half-step toward replacing the MacBook Air line. The MacBook 12" replaces the 11" Air. The MacBook Pro 13" replaces the 13" Air. There will probably be a larger screen MacBook as well just to meet pricepoints, but Apple is going from three lines to two very soon.

In addition, keeping old models around has been Apple's play even when Jobs was here. It started happening with the iPads and late with the "S" revision iPhones.

We can argue until we are blue in the face, but Jobs never made the product I wanted in all the years he was at the helm either. Where was the headless iMac with 2 PCIe slots (for one dual-height video card) a single CPU, 4 DIMM slots, etc? Apple's run by smarter people than that of an Apple fanboy community stuck in a 15-years-ago mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Well this part is clear:

"The central reason for abandoning the AirPort line appears to focus mainly on its small revenue gains in comparison to the company's more lucrative products, like the iPhone."

Apple would seem to be putting all of its marbles into the iPhone bucket.

I remember how well that worked for Nokia.
What do we all have to gain from Apple refining an AirPort Utility around a Marvell SoC and radio transceiver? This is like debating whether one reference Intel PUMA6 based cable modem is better than another brand's functionally identical PUMA6 modem.